The originate of Schifferstadt goes back to the 6th
century to the royal court of the Merovingians and Franconians. Different
names were given to Schifferstadt p.ex. in 868 "Sciffestad",
in 977 (resp. 987) "Skeferstat" and in 1035 "Sciferstat".
The first component "scif" or "scef" in Old German
language means "ship".
But there haven't been ships on the Rehbach only rafts floating wood from
the Rehbach to the Rhine.
Site of the raftsman
"The old name of Schifferstadt meant "site
of raftsman" which were called "boatmen".
Already under the reign of the Salian emperor Konrad II and his wife empress
Gisela Schifferstadt became the domain of the Salian ruling family. In
1065 the bishopric of Speyer took in possession the abbey of Limburg to
which belonged "Sciffestad" and remained there until 1785.
The guest-house "Zur Kanne" is the oldest
existing original house in Schifferstadt. The first time our guest-house
was mentioned in a document was in 1547. At this time it belonged together
with the Catholic Church St. Jakobus to a monastery. Later on it was used
as an accommodation for wayfarers and in 1900 it became an guest-house.
Between 1920 and 1929 the guest-house "Die Kanne"
was taken over by Frieda Stahl known as "Aunt Frieda" among
the Schifferstädter people.
Since 1965 the guest-house "Zur Kanne" is under the ownership
of the family Prieschl.
Hotel Guesthouse"Zur Kanne" - D-67105 Schifferstadt
Kirchenstr. 7 - 11
Tel: +49 (0) 62 35 / 49 00 0 - e-Mail: